Thursday, December 8

Bright Fruits Of Labor

We have been covering the plants for the past few nights and have had minimum frost damage. In the desert. Go figure.

I did manage to get out into the garden Saturday evening. The SO did help me harvest all of the cherry tomatoes and Bird's Eye Chilies. The catch was that it was dark, really cold, and raining so I've been a little sick this week because of it.

Here's a glimpse of the results:
The haul before separating...
... and the haul after separating so they may finish ripening better.
The scantily-clad chillies huddle close together- ready to be covered for the night.
The cherry tomato plants. I have trimmed many dead branches off and have spied more blossoms and baby tomatoes that I did not have the heart to harvest.

This was oh so satisfying and now comes the fun part of figuring out how to get rid of all of this fruit! XD I am so proud of my first garden harvest and have already started planning for next year. It sounds far away but I'm going to try to start (a bit more) properly in terms of time-frame. That means starting off my new babies indoors in the next month or two so they'll be healthy and strong sprouts that are ready for a ton more sunlight come early spring. The idea gets me a little giddy and that's a really nice feeling to have again. 

To update on what I wrote about last: I have finished all of the cards and had so many extra, I wrote cards to people I hadn't initially planned for and the gifts have all been made (and then some!). I finished addressing everything last night and the SO and I shall be making a crazy trip to the postal store later. We're currently getting our garage door fixed (Hooray! If just for the overhead lighting in there while we dig around for Christmas decorations, lol!).
I finally got the tree set up yesterday, ornaments and little knick knacks will be going up this evening a la FMIL and then I can get ready to make a whole boat-ton of cake pops. I'm crossing my fingers that they will turn out presentable and go over well. All of the parties happen next weekend and we still have a special birthday dinner to make this weekend. I almost hear my mother's voice in my head about how I need all of the help I can get to be presentable myself. I should start primping hardcore asap. Sigh. If you can't tell, I'm the hot mess of my family. Lol.

I think two of my goals for next year are to figure out how to properly prepare packages for mailing because I seem to send out the strangest-shaped items and to have a little stockpile of already made gifts so I'm not doing this at the last moment. I hadn't planned to do many gifts this year because of our finances, but I know I can put my crafting skills to some use and give something to those that we love. 

I keep being told that I give plenty but even when I'm frustrated as all get-out, I instinctively choose to keeping giving more somehow. There may be tons of grumbling to myself and close friends, but somehow I'll still manage to do something positive. It must be some combination of my upbringing and personality or whatnot. This is probably coming off as lamenting, but dang it if it's not draining when you haven't found a balance. I'm getting there each year and I love the joy it can generate. It's just that... holy cow, I still want to gouge my own eyes out with a rusty spoon because of all of the nonsense around me. *Deep breath* This is only temporary. This is only temporary. I have some wonderful people in my life that I will choose to keep a part of it when I finally achieve better circumstances. Right now, I am very grateful for all of the blessings and good fortune in my life. Whew. 

I need more coffee. This is going to be a long day/ holiday season. I'll see you soon. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...