Tuesday, July 10

For The Love Of Disney

A few days ago, the SO was listening to a live-stream of gamers for background noise as he played his game. I've been able to overhear these guys and they're not bad in terms of being a bit knowledgeable and entertaining. They seemed fairly mature as well- most of them anyways.

Suddenly, I hear the SO yell in disbelief at the main guy (who can't hear him) and then I just had to know what specifically he had said to warrant such a reaction. Main guy had apparently claimed that the best Disney movie ever was: Finding Nemo.

Excuse me?!

Exactly.

Now, I love that movie, but it is clearly a collaboration of Disney + Pixar and it's not a classic by any stretch of the imagination. Way to show your age, buddy.

Now, there's enough of an age difference between the SO and I that puts us at an interesting spot within our generation. He's an 80's kid and I'm much closer to being a 90's child. Discussions about pop culture are pretty interesting and one of the few times we release what a difference a few years can make.

So, we launch into a discussion about classic Disney films, mostly animated because I am super biased against... actual people, lol. He correctly guessed my favorite and I realized I didn't know his, etc. Later on that night, I ended up looking at my fledgling collection of movies and wanted to keep a record of which ones I had. Subsequently, that led me to find, modify, and print out checklists of all of the animated films from Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks. What can I say? I'm really into lists.

It made me more aware of which Disney animated films may be available now due to being "out of the vault" every ten years, so I'm definitely saving up for those. I only have about a half dozen Disney DVD's (most of the ones I had growing up were on VHS) and I had started collecting Pixar movies first because they were easier to mind and there aren't that many of them, lol.

I also came across this "30 Days of Disney" photo challenge I had saved from some social network and decided I was going to answer those questions here (right now and not in picture form, XD)! Crap. This was much harder than I thought it would be and there were many ties.

1) Your Favorite Character: Stitch
It wasn't my initial thought, but I looked ahead that the questions and my other favorites could be represented in other ways. A bunch of my collectible pins are of him.

2) Your Favorite Princess: Belle
The brunette and bookworm that was a little oblivious to the world but really kind-hearted. Yep. I really liked Aurora too but she doesn't do all that much, lol.

3) Your Favorite Heroine: Mulan
She kind of saved China, guys. A close second was Megara.

4) Your Favorite Prince: Eric
I was going to choose Simba or Aladdin but those random princes don't get much love, lol.

5) Your Favorite Hero: Hercules
"Zero to Hero" keeps playing in my head so... yeah.

6) Your Favorite Animal: Pongo
There's something goofy and loveable about him. Then, he makes a great dad! Trying to stick with the classics and not use characters from the same movies.

7) Your Favorite Sidekick: Thumper
"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothing at all!" If for that reason alone...

8) Your Favorite Villain: Madam Mim
Maleficent was a close second but she was a hilarious villain that wasn't too scary. I still scary easily.

9) Your Favorite *Original* Character (Mickey, Minnie, Donald etc.): Minnie Mouse
There's not that many choices, lol.

10) Your Favorite Song: "A Whole New World"
Didn't want to choose something so generic, but I did choose to sing this song at a talent show in high school. I do adore "We Are One" from Lion King 2, there's just something about that melody...

11) Your Favorite Love Song: "Beauty and the Beast"
Recently saw two of my friends perform this choreographed number as their first dance at their wedding. Oh man, there tears.

12) Your Favorite Villain Song: "Be Prepared"
Not too many of the villians' songs stood out to me.

13) Your Least Favorite Song: "If I Never Knew You"
It's from Pocahontas and I never remembered it from the movie.

14) Your Favorite Kiss: Bambi
Just the whole scene of Bambi, Thumper, and Flower getting their first kisses was fantastic.

15) The First Movie You Saw: Beauty and the Beast
It was definitely the first I saw in theaters. I do remember watching Mary Poppins a lot too, but I'm not 100% sure which was first.

16) Your Favorite Classic: Sleeping Beauty
It keeps sticking out to be even thought I know it wasn't particularly stellar, lol.

17) Your Least Favorite Classic: The Black Cauldron
I think it was because I found it terrifying and dark when I was little.

18) Your Favorite Pixar Film: Wall-E
Close call with Finding Nemo- very close- but I saw this in theaters with the SO and have special memories attached. That's probably the case with most Disney memories.

19) Your Least Favorite Pixar Film: Ratatouille
It's not that I hate it, I just don't love it. Close call with "A Bug's Life". This isn't counting any of the of the sequels, of course.

20) Your Favorite Sequel: The Rescuers Down Under
Oh, a question about sequels. Go figure, lol. I'm only going to go with this one because I had no idea that there was just a "The Rescuers" when I was little. We only had this movie! XD

21) An Underrated Movie: The Great Mouse Dectective
Not sure how we had this one when I was growing up, but I loved it. I guess an all animal cast made evil things less scary? "Sword in the Stone", "Oliver and Comapny", "Aristocats", and "Fantasia" are right up there too.

22) An Overrated Movie: Little Mermaid
Just based on the fandom associated with it.

23) A Movie That Makes You Laugh: The Emperor's New Groove
I found it's humor outrageous for Disney and loved every second of it. Don't all of them, though?

24) A Movie That Makes You Cry: Bambi.
You know why. Also, "Dumbo" and "The Fox and the Hound".

25) Your Favorite Scene From Your Favorite Movie: The ending sequence when the fairies are switching the colors of Princeses Aurora's gown.
I don't like picking favorites. T_T

26) Saddest Death: Mufasa.
I had a hard time thinking of the deaths of non-villians and we already talked about Bambi's mother. There's also Nemo's mom, Coral, and Ellie, Carl's wife in Up!

27) Your Favorite Quote: "Hakuna Matata."
"Short, simple, yet effective." Plus, it's one of the few I could remember off the top of my head. I'm terrible with memorizing quotes.

28) Your Favorite Theme Park: Epcot.
Hands down. It may be because of the shopping in Japan. Magic Kingdom is a close second because of the amount of times I've been there and the memories associated.

29) Your Favorite Theme Park Attraction: Living Land Hybrid Tour
It's in Epcot and shows really awesome advances in gardening. We often go on Space Mountain, the Carousel of Progress, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, and It's a Small World too. Oh! The Cyberspace Mountain create your own roller coaster ride at Disney Quest too. I can go on that endlessly.

30) Your Favorite Theme Park Show: Fantasmic!
It's a show at the end of the day in Hollywood Studios. I love it the most because it brings together so many favorite/ popular movies in an interesting new way.

I have way too many feelings going on right now. I do like Snow White, Cinderella, Lady & the Tramp, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Robin Hood, The Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh, Pinocchio, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Tarzan, and more. I guess those are just middle ground for me. I need to go and sort through these emotions, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...