Wednesday, July 7

127. Best Friends

If you prepared to read a heartfelt and sap-filled entry about some childhood friendship that I truly value- too bad, that is probably going to happen some other day. :D Today I'm writing about my love of Zyrtec, the allergy medication. No lie.

It started a few years back during my senior year in high school (I'm showing my age, aren't I?) when I suddenly developed allergies to some mysterious entity. I wrote here a while ago how I finally figured out what it was thanks to a fellow blogger writing about her experience about getting to better shape for her wedding. I had undergone many allergy tests and trials to try to figure out the antagonist, but to no avail. So my doctor, family, and I just settled with treating the symptoms so I could get through the school year.

Now, I almost never get the allergic reaction of puffy eyes and non-stop sneezing that many people get due to cats or dry grass. My allergic reactions consist of hives (which are a lot like reacting to mosquito or other bug bites or having chicken pox, actually) all over my body. Nothing is sacred. It is pretty horrible. I can't count how many times I have wished (and started!) to claw at my skin to drain out my blood, and just start over. We could not figure out how I was allergic to pretty much everything but especially apple, pork, and stress. Yes, stress. Me and all my neurotic glory becoming allergic to stress? There was no way I was going to make it to my thirties at this rate. XD

It was a daily occurrence. Once we found out that Zyrtec gave me solace, even if it made me super drowsy, I had to take it every 24 hours. Trying to push it off any longer and I would have a near violent assault of hives. Yes, the itching can become unbearable. The real concern with such a severe reaction is the potential to have something like your windpipe become swollen and cutting off your oxygen or going into anaphalactic shock.

It's gotten a lot better since then, but it has never gone away. With my flu-like-thing this week, I have definitely heated up. Today, I feel a lot less sinus pressure but had a full outbreak that woke me up this morning. Oh Zyrtec, I will never take you for granted. I was thinking about trying to sweat through it all, but when my eyes started swelling and with already feeling a lot of pressure on my chest/ lungs, I decided not to risk it. I think that was a wise decision, no?

:) I am a happier camper today, but I figure I should still keep getting rest. See you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...