Friday, May 7

066. Boxed

An alternative title for today would be: Box That Up- I'll Take It To Go.

I think I'm mostly over that mild head cold or whatever it was that has been bogging me down for the past week or so. I occasionally have a huge sneeze that comes out of no where- it stuns small children and scares the bejeezus out of cats. : ) I'm pretty sure those are the only pluses to my... condition/ ailment.

Remember how I may have mentioned in yesterday's post that I was probably going to post a bunch of music I was discovering the past few nights here? Um, yes. Well, I would like to make good on the disclaimer I had installed for myself. :D

I have been bummed out lately for various reasons and wanted to tackle (from start to finish!) projects that have been on my to-do list one by one. It's really hard for me not to multi-task even though I am well aware that too much multi-tasking leads not to me being more efficient with my time, but rather to me doing a bunch of things half-baked. I just need to stop trying to do everything all at once, plan what I need to do when, and then just do it. I can do that better on a week-long basis, but on a hourly/ daily scale? Forget it.

However! I have done well today! I set out to make a handmade card organizer (instead of spending a bunch of hours hunting for one online and in person) with pretty much no blueprints and complete laundry today before the pile became obscenely large. Right after I'm done here, the last load should be done drying so I can fold it all before heading to bed! Hooray! It's the little things that count, huh? Lol, funny how said things seem a lot like really mundane chores when you get older. XD

Anywho, I'm telling you about my card thinger because I took pictures of the final product! I'm not a complete disappointment. :P

Ta- da!
It's made from a facial tissue box that I've adored and we recently finished. 

The "Colors" Side.

The "Occasions" Side.

My stash of pre-cut card parts in the back.

I really wanted to find a way to save that box because it looks really cool and I think it's one of the first things I got for my own place when I moved out here that was just for me. :) I didn't like it being in public spaces at all, lol. I was just about to give up finding another use for it and toss it into the recycling bin when I realized that it would could be perfect for holding my cards! And it was/ is!

Decorated cards are sorted by the main color of their background on one side and if I've already managed to add a sentiment of some sort to it, it's moved to the occasions half. I have a section for red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, brown, white/gray, and black. For the occasions, I tried to keep it simple by having Congratulations, Happy Birthdays, Just Because, Thank You's, and Reserved (for cards that I've made for specific people but have yet to write in or send out). I also have that blank bits and pieces section in the back in case I want to throw one together from scratch- all the pieces are already cut out! 

I can't wait to finish what I need to do and then get back to creating and stock-piling cards again! I was so much fun and now that I have this little system, it's going to be that much more... well, exciting! Man, I really wanted to think of another word for that, but couldn't in time. :P Lol. Oh, and I used my new and only border punch on the labeled tabs as well. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the quality yet. I thought it was a bit pricey but average cost for it. I guess I have to splurge on a really nice one and/or get a cheap packet of a million somewhere to really judge. Or, heaven forbid, I just borrow and try someone else's punch(es). That would just make all the sense in the world, so I couldn't possibly take that route. /roll eyes.

Why does laundry somehow take all day to do? No matter how little the piles are- a week's worth or a busload- it seems to take an entire day. It may not help that today seemed to be longer than usual and it was a pretty crazy Freaky Friday at school. The kids got to take home a pot of herbs that they planted last week in small pots as a Mother's Day present. Some sprouts/ pieces were just starting to show this morning! I believe there were chives, basil, and... parsley. They also finished up their shaving cream- painted cards to bring home. The only thing left to say about it all is: TGIF! 

Sigh, I keep starting/ glancing/ poking at my new card organizer. I am so pleased with myself, lol. It was pretty darn simple too. Granted, it's not the best way to do so and I'll admit to why. Yes, it's great that I up-cycled (recycling but you make it even better in terms of use or value than it in its original form- I think that's the definition, I'm too tired to look it up right now), but for handmade cards you should keep them in a closed container, like a photograph organizer box, to protect your hard work from sunlight and dust. Well, from liquid spills, pets, and children too. I've seen really cute projects where elaborate binders are bought/ made with sleeves that are pockets that you can close. Many of them sort the cards out by month with a list/ calender of the days of each month so you can fill-in any annual event like a birthday or anniversary. This is so you can just flip to the month, see a birthday coming up, pull out the designated card, and mail it out! Some goes as far as to have a section in the back area for jotting down all the addresses too! How fancy right? I am more than satisfied with my cute little box for now though. Chances are, I'll be constantly moving it around to play/ use it for a while. I can't wait! /happydance.

Bah, I'm falling over as I type this, so I'm going to stare at the dryer until it's done. :) See you tomorrow! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...